We Build Companies
that use intelligent machines to solve global challenges.
Machine Intelligence That's Less Artificial
Today's global challenges are, by definition, vast, complex, and impossible to solve with last century's tools. At Brainworks, we build complex solutions around next-gen artificial intelligence tools inspired by the latest pioneering neuroscience research.
For humans to trust machines with life-and-death decisions, this next generation of AI must be able to synthesize vast and varied data, represent it in a common format, wrap abstract concepts around what it senses, and have a common language with humans to describe all the complexity of exactly what it is thinking. These are the parts of AI we are focussed on expanding.
Brainworks is a foundry, where a team of diverse technical, scientific and business experts work to build global scale companies that can offer global scale solutions to the world's most daunting challenges. We harness the latest discoveries in artificial intelligence, neuroscience, physics, biotechnology and computer science to develop scalable platforms and businesses around them.
Dr. Phillip Alvelda
CEO & Chairman
Prior to Brainworks, Phillip led over $175m of Brain Machine Interface development at DARPA’s Biological Technologies office. Prior to DARPA, he was the founding CEO of MicroDisplay, MobiTV, TaDa, and the Westminster Institute for science education. He holds over 50 patents and patents pending, an Emmy Award, was appointed a World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer, and was granted Master’s and PhD degrees from MIT’s Artificial Intelligence Laboratory.
Chief Operating Officer
Zvi leads the company’s operations and technology development divisions. Prior to Brainworks, Zvi has a history of establishing new advanced sensing businesses including global IoT services for some of the largest transportation fleets in the world, including every Walmart trailer, to enable Orbcomm’s NASDAQ listing. Prior to Orbcomm, Zvi ran plant operation at Lutron’s solid state lighting manufacturing line and was the CTO and co-founder of auto safety IoT company, Sfara, where he helped drive a successful sale to Mercedes Benz.
Brainworks leaders comprise over 40 year of entrepreneurial experience in not only creating new companies, but using new technologies to create entirely new industries.
We specialize in building strong teams around a culture of principled innovation and global leadership.
Medio Labs (Medio.ai), a spin-out of the Brainworks Foundry, is setting up a pathology testing lab that uses next-generation gene sequencing to deliver low-cost, fast-turn-around PCR tests for all Coronavirus variants. Over time, the company plans to apply new AI-enhanced gene-sequencing diagnostic technologies to a broad range of pathogens, dramatically reduce the cost of pathology testing, and radically expand access to the latest healthcare technologies.
We are a diverse team of world experts looking for our first few key hires. This is your chance to get in on the ground floor of a hot new (fully funded) high tech startup, and see what it’s like to make a run at changing the world, with all sorts of advancement opportunities as we grow. We are starting with a serious attempt to combat the pandemic and make students and workers safer.
The Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) is responsible for following all standard operating procedures of the laboratory and adhering to all quality regulations. Additionally, the technologist may be assigned duties by the CLS General Supervisor, Technical Lead/Lab Manager, and other Clinical Laboratory Operations Leadership for the advancement or maintenance of the laboratory. The initial scope of MedioLabs is high complexity NGS-based SARS-CoV-2 clinical testing with subsequent expansion into non coronavirus diagnostics. The CLS will work amongst non-clinically trained molecular technicians but always under direct and constant supervision of a Generalist CLS General Supervisor and a CA Certified Laboratory Director.
- Performing high-complexity testing that requires the exercise of independent judgment and responsibility, with minimal supervision by the laboratory director or general supervisor, in only those specialties or sub-specialties in which they are qualified by education, training, and experience
- Perform next-generation sequencing workflows in BSL2 clinical lab space
- Daily processing of patient samples within assigned workflow or assay meeting contracted TATs.
- Timely and accurate completion and update of sample processing paperwork and lists on a daily basis either manually or electronically making sure to log deviations.
- Analyze data and report results of assigned assays.
- Interacting and communicating with non-laboratory staff to ensure an efficient workflow
- Following the laboratory’s procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting, and maintaining records of test examinations
- Adhering to the laboratory’s CLIA/CAP quality control policies, documenting all quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations, and maintenance performed
- Following the laboratory’s established policies and procedures whenever test systems are not within the laboratory’s established acceptable levels of performance
- Identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either correcting the problems or immediately notifying the general supervisor, technical supervisor, clinical consultant, or laboratory director
- Documenting all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications
- Provide supervision to non-licensed laboratory personnel
- Performing high-complexity testing
- Participating in the continuous quality-improvement process
- BS/BA and a valid California CLS or CGMBS license
- Minimum of 1 year of pertinent licensed experience
- Prior experience with PCR-based and/or next-generation sequencing (NGS) methods (preferred)
- A demonstrated proficiency in computer skills, such as word processing, statistical analysis, and laboratory information systems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A strong understanding of good laboratory practices and regulatory compliance
- The ability to adapt and be flexible in a fast-paced and evolving work environment
- Strong analytical skills
- Accurate pipetting skills
The Vice President/Director of sales is responsible for leading Medio Lab’s sales plan for a multi-state geography covering the domestic US territory. The goal of the VP/Dir of Sales is to drive sustained sales and adoption of Medio Labs pathology testing products and other products the company develops to help clinicians and patients diagnose viral and bacterial pathogens. The VP/Director of Sales role is part of a new direct sales function for the company and will include hiring and managing a team of 4-5 regional sales executives (RSEs) and independent sales agents.
- For the defined multi-state region, lead the overall direct sales effort to develop a high-growth, sustainable market for Medio Lab’s products, beginning with the company’s COVID-19 Test.
- Design and achieve individual and team-based quarterly and annual sales quota goals in home territory while serving as the team manager for the region.
- Develop individual territory and industry plans to target and onboard new clinical, enterprise, school, and home use customers.
- Ensure strong competency in promoting Medio Lab’s products by completing ongoing training and refining selling skills both for in-person and digital engagement.
- Advance personal knowledge of customer base including business practice patterns and trends, diagnostic needs, sample collection capabilities, and other relevant characteristics.
Utilize Medio Lab’s CRM as the primary day-to-day customer management tool, keeping track of activities, communications and information on each business account.
- 12+ years of outside sales experience (healthcare/med tech/device strongly preferred);
- 3-5 years of sales management experience preferred
- Will favor candidates with prior success with new and/or disruptive therapy introductions. High priority given to individuals with current experience in and relationships with neurology practices in the assigned territory.
- Clear understanding of med tech sales processes, territory management, and customer relationship management.
- Familiarity and competency with Salesforce.com and digital campaign tools
- Knowledge of healthcare markets and an understanding of clinician and patient customer needs and dynamics.
- Strong interest in working in a start-up environment and the ability to take on a range of work at once.
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills and ability to present to company colleagues and leaders.
- Strong attention to detail and a commitment to quality work, including achieving assigned timelines for deliverables.
- Proactive work style and willingness to take initiative (with proper guidance from managers).
- Professionalism and dedication to respecting colleagues, customers, partners, vendors, and other stakeholders.
We are looking for an eloquent, persuasive proposal writer to join our team in creating proposals largely seeking contracts in the local and state markets as well as educational institutions and large commercial organizations. The proposal writer’s responsibilities include gathering information, coordinating information at times from internal as well as external resources, formatting the information according to the company’s policies, obtaining supervisor approval, and sending the proposal to the appropriate source.
To be successful as a proposal writer, you should be articulate, have excellent written communication skills, and be able to work under pressure to meet demanding deadlines. Ultimately, a top-notch proposal writer should be consistent, detail-oriented, and able to write in a factual, convincing manner.
- Sourcing, researching, coordinating, writing, and organizing information in a professional and credible manner.
- Conducting interviews with internal and external resources.
- Reviewing products, services, and/or business ideas.
- Creating strategies for convincing others to take appropriate action.
- Attending meetings and identifying opportunities for proposal writing.
- Prioritizing responsibilities to meet deadlines.
- Editing and revising proposals according to feedback.
- Maintaining consistency in proposal writing by following company policies.
- Working with the design team to create graphics and visuals for projects.
- Giving presentations to the executives.
- A Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, English, or related field.
- At least 2 years of experience in proposal writing is required with specific focus on counties, states and federal opportunities as well as educational and commercial organizations.
- Strong working knowledge of word processing software.
- Excellent computer and organizational skills, as well as attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Good strategic planning abilities.